Are You Living Up to NASCIO’s 2019 Top 10 Priorities?
Spring is here, so how are you doing on your progress to address NASCIO’s Top 10 priorities for 2019?
NASCIO is a nonprofit focused on fostering government excellence through quality business practices, information management, and technology policy. Representing state chief information officers (CIOs) and information technology executives and managers, NASCIO provides products and services designed to support their challenging roles.
Every year, NASCIO surveys State CIOs to determine what their Top 10 priorities are for the year. The 2019 version illustrates the extent of how technology adoption increasingly underlies a government’s ability to address the many needs of its citizens in an increasingly digital world. As 2019 is progressing, where are you at in your progress in meeting these Top 10 priorities?
One overarching theme of this year’s list is that modernizing your technology is a key strategic initiative for State CIOs. Adopting a modern budgeting, performance, reporting and communications solution like OpenGov can directly address many of these priorities.
Let’s take a look at how OpenGov addresses these priorities:
- Security and Risk Management. CIOs reported that they are most concerned with ensuring that their data is protected, insider threats thwarted, and that their security and risk management policies and frameworks have the budget and resources needed. Part of ensuring proper security it utilizing software solutions like OpenGov that have robust security certifications. OpenGov carries a NIST certification and adheres to the highest standards in data privacy and cybersecurity. Additionally, SaaS technologies like OpenGov leverage the best-in-class security features of the cloud providers that the applications run on, like AWS, to keep your data secure.
- Cloud Services. Governments are choosing cloud-based tools that are scalable and elastic. There are multiple benefits to using cloud software like OpenGov for budgeting and performance, communications and reporting. Cloud solutions allow you to do your work from anywhere, deliver value quicker than on-premise solutions, and are always up-to-date (with the additional benefit of no-cost upgrades and no maintenance costs).
- Consolidation/Optimization. Centralizing and consolidating services, operations, resources, infrastructure, and data centers are all vital this year. Having an “enterprise” mindset when it comes to communications and marketing is also key. OpenGov serves a single platform that brings budgeting, planning, performance, reporting, citizen engagement, and public communication together with ease. Additionally, The OpenGov Cloud™ integrates easily with multiple other tools and systems like your ERP, Excel, HRIS, Public Safety system, 311, and more.
- Digital Government. CIOs are focused on creating a framework for digital services that will improve the citizen experience. Citizens and government employees expect to access government services and data online and to have a more direct means of providing feedback. OpenGov creates a simple to use online platform that makes delivering digital services and engaging with citizens as easy as a click on a web page.
- Budget, Cost Control, Fiscal Management. Modern budgeting happens with cloud-based software. OpenGov is designed to streamline and transform the end-to-end budgeting process, seamlessly tie budget dollars to key organizational initiatives, and draw actionable insights that maximize performance outcomes. This modern budgeting solution frees up time previously spent wasted on frictions associated with dated technology so you and your constituents can focus on what really matters: analysis to create the best budget, tying that budget to actuals, and evaluating performance.
- Data Management & Analytics. As big data grows exponentially, governments need to have robust data management and analytics tools to surface the data that is tied to outcomes and impacts performance and budgeting decisions. OpenGov users can quickly and easily create and update visual reports, share them and take action with customized alerts. We make diving into the details for deeper analysis easier and shareable so that all stakeholders can understand and participate.
You can address multiple strategic priorities at once when you align your priorities with the right modern technology. From decreased risk to increased efficiency and citizen outreach capability, OpenGov serves as a vehicle to help you modernize your government and deliver better results to citizens.
A central theme of the NASCIO priorities addresses the role that new technologies play in modernizing your government. So, it might be helpful to take a deeper dive into the actual technologies that will change the space. We recently hosted a webinar discussing the various technologies that are poised to change GovTech over the coming years. View this on-demand webinar by clicking the button below.