State governments require robust data management systems in order to operate efficiently, collaboratively, and transparently. Unfortunately, much of the software still used by government is cumbersome and often acts solely as a data repository. Today, however, there are a number of local government software technologies that agencies and departments can leverage to integrate data and increase productivity within their respective organizations—from health departments to departments of transportation. These turnkey solutions quickly transform raw data into accessible, understandable, and shareable information.
Ultimately, local government software provides the tools administrators need to improve decision-making, generate ideas, reduce costs, and drive better public outcomes.
Data silos can inhibit productivity and effectiveness. When agencies and departments in the public sector store enormous amounts of data in separate databases, important information can become buried. OpenGov’s government software includes a complete standalone suite of applications that cover many services like budgeting & planning, procurement, citizen services, and reporting & transparency, along with integrated solutions like community feedback and asset management. Adopting software that is easy to integrate into an existing technology stack is key to helping, not hindering, administrative tasks.
In addition to presenting complex data in easy-to-understand dashboards, public sector software can also broaden citizen engagement. For example, OpenGov’s platform allows agencies to supplement public hearings with online surveys and virtual town halls, reducing the barriers that often prevent citizens from becoming more involved.
State Agencies and Departments that Benefit from Local Governmental Software
- Economic Development Agencies
- Natural Resource and Environmental Agencies
- State Auditors, Comptrollers, and Treasurers
- Governor’s and Executive Offices
- Department of Administration
- Department of Finance
- Department of IT
- Department of Health
- Department of Health and Social Services
- Department of Health and Human Resources
- Department of Health Care
- Department of Transportation
In the case of Health and Human Services agencies, the specific agency title may differ from state to state, but we captured a few of those variations above.
Top State Government Management Software by Category
Software for the public sector must be intended for use by local or state governments. These systems are tailored for government agencies and their complexities. The following are leading state government management software in their respective categories:
- Lawson (acquired by Infor)
- Adaptive Insights
Planning and Budgeting
- Hyperion by Oracle
- SherpaGov / Sherpa
- BRASS / CGI
- IBM TM1 Planning Analytics
- Microsoft Business Objects
- Power BI
Uses for State and Local Government Software
State and local governments require software for the following functions:
- Planning, forecasting, and reporting during the budgeting process
- Collaborations between government and citizens
- Sharing data with the public
- Uncovering opportunities for improving operations
- Producing administrative data reports
- Monitor current-year and annual revenue, expenses, transactions, and checkbook data.
Uses for Municipal Government Software
Municipal government software can be used for a variety of purposes to improve the functioning and efficiency of local governments. Here are five common uses for municipal government software:
- Financial management: Municipal government software can help manage the finances of a city or town, including budgeting, accounting, payroll, and tax collection. The software can track revenues and expenditures, produce financial reports, and help ensure compliance with financial regulations.
- Permitting and licensing: Municipal government software can streamline the process of issuing permits and licenses for businesses, construction projects, and other activities. The software can track applications, approvals, and fees, and provide online portals for applicants to submit and track their applications.
- Citizen engagement: Municipal government software can facilitate communication and engagement between local governments and their residents. The software can provide online portals for residents to submit requests, report issues, and provide feedback, as well as social media integration and email or text message alerts.
- Public works management: Municipal government software can help manage public works projects, such as road repairs, maintenance of parks and recreation facilities, and waste management. The software can track work orders, schedules, and resources, and provide real-time updates to citizens on project status and completion.
- Emergency management: Municipal government software can aid in emergency planning and response efforts. The software can provide real-time information on emergencies, coordinate response efforts between agencies, and track and report on emergency preparedness plans and training activities.
Drive Statewide Transparency and Accountability in Government
Ultimately, local government software provides the tools administrators need to improve decision-making, generate ideas, reduce costs, and drive better public outcomes. Converting data into lively presentations, OpenGov’s integrated cloud solution for state and federal agencies brings together budgeting, performance management, reporting, and communications to help state departments and agencies improve outcomes and engage with stakeholders.
Explore The OpenGov Cloud – Purpose-Built Local Government Software
OpenGov is the only easy-to-use cloud-based solution that transforms how governments budget, measure performance, and engage the public. Over 1600 local governments across the United States have partnered with OpenGov.